As a Technical Development Manager, your mission is to provide our retail stores relevant fashion, at the right time, at the right price, and in the right quantity.
The Technical Development Manager objective is to deliver both Design’s creative vision and Aritzia’s customer expectations through the fit, construction and quality of our product. This will be accomplished through effective leadership and management skills, excellent pattern making capabilities, manufacturing knowledge, and proactive and collaborative communication with our internal cross functional partners and external vendor base.
- Recruit, train, motivate and evaluate a high functioning team of Technical Designers
- Lead team to track and manage workflow and ensure seasonal deadlines are met by maintaining the applicable areas of the Priority Checklist (PCL), Product Development Review (PDR) Agenda, Fit Agenda, and other administrative tools used by the Technical Department
- Lead team to understand Design’s creative vision, including silhouette, fabrication, fit intent and design details, and effectively collaborate to translate to the Aritzia customer
- Understand fit model measurements and how to incorporate into fit process
- Build Aritzia’s Garment Construction Standards in cooperation with Patternmaking team
- Execute design and fit intent into bulk production while maintaining corporate standards
- Communicate sample and pattern requirements to factory using tech packs, photos, fit comments, blocks and patterns, video conference, etc.
- Evaluate garment and pattern to determine compliance of measurements, construction, and fit intent
- Identify potential fit, quality and production issues and make appropriate recommendations while maintaining design’s creative vision and fit intent
- Travel to factories and work with technical teams to troubleshoot, educate, and understand factory capabilities
- Expertise in patternmaking including grading, construction and fit for multiple or complex product
- Strong people management capability
- Ability to understand Design’s fit and styling intent
- Background using Gerber Accumark or a comparable software
- Knowledge of manufacturing methods
- Ability to travel to vendor base
- Communicates clearly and effectively in both written and verbal communication
- Results-oriented and process driven, with high expectations of self and team
The Key Relationships
- Report to: Senior Director, Technical, QA and Sample Department
- Direct Reports: Senior Technical Developer, Technical Developer and/or Associate Technical Developer
- Work closely with: Product Development team
Founded by CEO Brian Hill in Vancouver, Canada, Aritzia has now grown to over 60 retail boutiques, which include over 50 Aritzia stores, five TNA stores and two Wilfred stores, with over 2,500 employees. Our boutiques are located in select cities across North America, including Vancouver, Seattle, San Francisco, Toronto, Chicago and New York. In November 2012, Aritzia opened our largest boutique, Aritzia Fifth Avenue located at 600 Fifth Avenue (at Rockefeller Centre) and launched our ecommerce website and on-line magazine.
Aritzia is an Equal Opportunity employer.